Ships to repair damaged undersea cables

Discussion in 'DSL & Info Tech News' started by louiemsp, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. louiemsp

louiemsp Member

Ships to repair damaged undersea cables

TAIPEI, Taiwan - Taiwan's Chunghwa Telecom Co. said Tuesday two repair ships will soon start fixing undersea cables damaged last week by an earthquake off the island's coast that resulted in a major disruption to telephone and Internet links across Asia.

The two ships will take two to three weeks to complete their task, said Wu Chih-ming, a senior official at Chunghwa Telecom, Taiwan's largest telecommunications company.

"The ships are expected to arrive in Taiwan today and tomorrow and will work at sea over the next two weeks," Wu said Tuesday. Two more ships will join later, he said, without elaborating.

The Dec. 26 quake — measured at magnitude 6.7 by Taiwan's Central Weather Bureau and 7.1 by the US Geological Survey — snapped undersea cables off Taiwan, cutting telecommunications across the region and leaving companies scrambling to reroute traffic through satellites and cables that were not damaged.

Services were gradually restored in the days following the quake, but have not fully recovered.

Wu said one of the repair ships is Japanese registered and sailed to Taiwan from Japan. The other, British registered, sailed to Taiwan from the Philippines, he said. Both are specially equipped to repair undersea cables and had to complete other repair work before setting out for Taiwan.

In Hong Kong, Internet connection on the first working day of the year was about 70 percent to 80 percent back to normal Tuesday, an official said.

"There was no major congestion this morning. The situation is better than we thought," said Ha Yung-kuen of the Telecommunications Authority.

Residential Internet users will still experience some delays because service providers will give business users priority, he added. Internet connection in Hong Kong should be fully restored by mid-January, when repair works for the first of six damaged undersea cables serving the territory is expected to be complete.

By the end of January or early February, all major cables serving Hong Kong and other countries in the region should be fully repaired, said another official, Chan Tze-yee.

Asian data transmission lines, made of clusters of glass fibers wrapped in protective material, carry Internet data and voice calls as pulses of light.

Chunghwa Telecom estimates the repairs will cost about 50 million New Taiwan dollars ($1.5 million). - AP

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/25455/Ships ... sea-cables

2. greekolo

greekolo Member

ty for the info

3. Symantec

Symantec Member

no worries... :)

4. louiemsp

louiemsp Member

As of now my connection is good... pansin ko tuwing gabi nagiging ok connection ko siguro nga medyo naayos na o nakahanap na ng paraan ang PLDT para kahit papaano eh mabalik sa norm al yung service...

5. ojpd

ojpd Member

awww men...

3 weeks?!?! huhuhu

6. Guest

Guest Guest

for me ala naman problem no downtime same speed parin, swerte ko naman hehehehe.

7. Unwired

Unwired Member

GlobeLines wala pa rin....:(

8. donetus

donetus Member

myDestiny bagal pa rin .. tapos me ibang sites na binlock nila (temporary lang daw) ..

9. Ouch, 3 weeks to repair. At least theyre starting to work on it. but 3-4 weeks with slow internet...arrrgghhhh...

10. fishbone

fishbone Member

ok na yung 3 weeks. are narinig ko pa nga sa AM radio 2 months e. :shock:

11. pldtdsl in marikina, still NO SHOW...argh...terrible

12. mindless

mindless Member

oh my.. spammer na naman... what? 3 weeks? hmmmm......

13. louiemsp

louiemsp Member

Spammers will be executed like Saddam....

14. Symantec

Symantec Member

:shock:

15. ojpd

ojpd Member

Just when I thought everything will be fine after a week or two I suddenly bump into this part of an article from inquirer.net:

Hayss.. This is not a good sign for 2007. hehe

The whole article...

16. duhwho

duhwho staff Staff Member

this is because 8 cables are been affected

and per rapair of cables it will takes months not weeks... and expensive too

hehehehehee

17. Symantec

Symantec Member

so yung sinabing 3 weeks is baloney!baka 3 months!wow!

18. tagabukid

tagabukid Member

i think dslmaster should put a 1 hour gap between the account creation time and the 1st post. para kailangan pang maghirap bago makaspam.

19. genexide

genexide Member

dpat may powers na si master para mawala na lahat ng spammer...

20. Symantec

Symantec Member

wala eh,busy si dsl master sa wedding plans....hehehe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.