[TUTS]Multi-boot system

Discussion in 'Software' started by klyster, Sep 6, 2010.

1. klyster

klyster Member

First stop: Windows and Linux

First thing you have to do is decide how you want the operating systems to be installed. Windows have to be on a Fat32 or NTFS file system. Linux can reside almost anywhere, but is better being installed on its own native journal ext2 file system. You may want to have them on 2 separate hard drives if you have more than one hard drive in your system. May recommendation is that they are at least on separate partitions, be the partitions are on the same hard drive or separate hard drives.
    Anytime Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 is being included in the multi-boot configuration, it should be installed first. This is because Windows turns a blind eye to all other OS other than Windows and it writes the MBR so that only Windows can be booted.

Note: If you already have Linux on the system, you will have to re-install the Linux boot-loader after installing Windows.
    When installing Linux the Grub boot-loader will be installed in the MBR section of the main hard drive. Grub allows for multiple entry for different OS and/or different installments of the same OS. Sometimes Grub miss making an entry for Windows and you will have to do it manually. Grub's boot list is stored in a file named 'menu.lst' found in the grub directory. By using a text editor you want to add the following to the 'menu.lst' file:

# Windows bootable partition config begins
    title Windows (on /dev/sda1)
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1
    # Windows bootable partition config ends

Save the file and reboot and you will see the Windows boot entry.

2. dyoddyowel

dyoddyowel Member

thanks for this guide...

i don't have much time so i was hoping someone could make this like i said in this thread

=============================================

anyway, just for everybody's information and to avoid confusion, i would like to add this little info...

edit the entry above where it says sda1 corresponding to the actual location of your windows partition...

sda1 means first hard disk and first partition

so second hard disk would refer to sdb...

example:

sda1 = 1st HD, 1st partition
    sda2 = 1st HD, 2nd partition

sdb1 = 2nd HD, 1st partition
    sdb2 = 2nd HD, 2nd partition

to get an accurate reading of your hd's and partition label

type this into the terminal: sudo blkid

3. dyoddyowel

dyoddyowel Member

additional info:

hd0 stands for 1st hard disk, so:

hd0,1 = 1st HD, 1st partition
    hd0,2 = 1st HD, 2nd partition

hd1,1 = 2nd HD, 1st partition
    hd1,2 = 2nd HD, 2nd partition

if you are using a newer linux distro, most probably you are already using grub2 and it does not use menu.lst anymore...

to verify your version of grub, type this into terminal: grub-install -v

grub2 is version 1.9xxxxx, legacy grub is 0.97

grub2 now uses grub.cfg and it is not recommended to edit the file manually... although sometimes when im feeling lazy i do edit it myself but it is not meant to be edited...

typing this into terminal will automatically add any operating system it can find and most of the time that's all that is needed, and no need to edit it manually to add windows partition...

sudo update-grub

4. j0sefuz

j0sefuz Member

#2 lang ata ang naintindihan ko.. yung iba, d ako makarelate.. hehehe..

5. dyoddyowel

dyoddyowel Member

basically, it means, install windows first, then install any linux distro...

after that you will be presented with a menu from where you could choose which OS to boot to...

that's about it, most of the time you do not need to do anything more...

most popular linux distro is becoming easier and easier to use for newbies...

6. Warlock1981

Warlock1981 Member

7. j0sefuz

j0sefuz Member

maybe I'll try linux next time.. :)

8. klyster

klyster Member

Actually mas madali ang linux kasi may WUBI na

9. dyoddyowel

dyoddyowel Member

dati you need to setup a lot of things before you can fully enjoy linux, now there are distros out there that almost works out of the box without the need to even touch a CLI...

very good for newbies...

@ klyster

asan na yung second stop?

i hope we can make this thread a one stop thread for all multi boots question...

@ all

no trash talk sana... let's all share knowledge here...

10. CodeHunter™

CodeHunter™ Member

Useful tutorial... thanks sir klyster...

11. klyster

klyster Member

@master chixlord dyo

Prepare ko pa, busy ako, siningit ko lang yung nasa taas...

12. madmhan84

madmhan84 Member

Master, pano po pag Windows 2000 and Windows XP gagamitin sa multi-booting, yung hindi po gagamit ng program like Partition Magic 8.0?

TIA

13. josekym

josekym Member

^^Install the older OS version first on a separate partition, and then install the other (newer) OS on its own partition too.

14. madmhan84

madmhan84 Member

Master josekym, musta po? hehe

master ganito po ba yun?

example I have 80Gb HDD, partition it to two then:

1. Install Win2000 on the first partion (40Gb)
    2. Install WinXp on the second partition (40Gb)

tama po ba? thanks ulet master...

15. josekym

josekym Member

^^Yes, tama po iyan.

16. madmhan84

madmhan84 Member

thanks ulet master :)

pano po pag gusto ko mag-add ng another partition for the FILES for example drive D: or E:?

gagawin ko po three partition, first two drive is primary partition then the third drive is the logical partition? tama po ba? hehe... thanks ulet master, cnsya na kung makulit. hehehe... marunong po ako kaso ang alam ko using Partition Magic 8.0, hehe, gusto ko po kasi try ng manually...

thanks a lot sir... ^^

17. josekym

josekym Member

^^If you will not use Partition Management tools, then dapat gawin mo yung partitioning during the first OS installation phase palang. Thus, parition mo muna (Primary and Extended (containing the Logical partitions)). So, hitsura niya ay: Primary (C: ), 1st Logical (D: ), 2nd Logical (E: ). Then, install mo OS on the Primary partition, and the next OS on the 1st Logical partition. Yung 2nd logical partition mo ang magiging files area mo.

18. as far as i know, kayang i-accomodate ng MBR partitioning 3 Primary Partition + 1 Extended (which can contain up to 13 logical partitions). di yata pede install Windows sa non-Primary partition. Can somebody confirm this? So mas mainan, i-exhaust mo lahat ng primary (1-3 partitions, then yung 4th is going to be Extended). In short meron kang Drives C:, D:, & E: all of them primary.

19. salamata sa topic na ito..... try ko to.. multiboot sa pc ko... ok ba ito???? how about if i want a same OS with different bits... same process din??

20. josekym

josekym Member

^^If you mean 32-bit vs. 64-bit but similar brand OS (ex. Win7, XP, Linux) , then yes, the process is the same. Ensure, however, that your hardware supports x64 architecture beforehand.