Prolink H5004N and Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Modem Router Config Settings' started by razirafi, May 14, 2013.

1. Hello to all, I would like to ask for help in configuring a PLDT provided Prolink H5004N to be used in tandem with an external wireless router. My previous setup was a Plan 999 connection and the hardware that came with it was a Zyxel P-660R-D1 modem. To have wireless capability I hooked it up to a Linksys wireless router and I was able to have Wifi in my home.

I just upgraded to Plan 1299 and PLDT gave me a free Prolink H5004N modem router so I connected it up and it is OK when using my desktop as it is connected via a LAN cable. But the problem is my son's smart phone (with only 802.11G) keeps getting disconnected, with most of the time experiencing frustratingly slow connection speed.

My plan now is to disable the wireless section of the Prolink unit and connect my wireless router to this unit so I tried it by connecting one LAN port of the Prolink to the internet port (yellow RJ-45 jack) of the wireless router but my wireless clients cannot connect to the internet. I tried a LAN to LAN port connection between the Prolink and the wireless router but still the clients cannot to the internet. Can someone please help me out with this?
  2. josekym

josekym Member

Provide more details on your setup?

Since your 5004N is in routing mode, make sure that the Linksys router is not using the same LAN subnet, thus causing an overlap in the LAN.

3. Thank you for your reply but honestly, I seem to be lost here with regards to this LAN subnet thing (meaning, I don't have the slightest idea about what to do).
  4. motion55

motion55 Member

The Prolink H5004N IP address is 192.168.1.1. There are two ways to connect the Prolink to the Linksys.

If you connect the Prolink to the WAN port of the linksys, make sure the linksys LAN IP address is not within the range 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254 Make sure to change its IP address to another range 192.168.X.1-192.168.X.254 where X cannot be equal to 1. This is the meaning of putting it on a different subnet. The subnet range is determined by the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.

If you connect the Prolink to one the LAN ports on the linksys, the linksys IP address should not also be 192.168.1.1. Change it to any IP address from 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.254. Also disable the DHCP server on the Linksys. Optionally you can change the mode on the Linksys from Gateway mode to Access point. This second way is actually better than the first.

5. motion55...thank you for that detailed reply, I will try that out and post back. One question though..if I disable the DHCP server on the linksys, will my wireless clients still be able to connect to the linksys?
  6. josekym

josekym Member

^^Yes, as long as the Prolink LAN cable is connected to one of the LAN ports of the Linksys, the DHCP will be handled by the Prolink and enable the Linksys clients to "connect". You cannot have more than 1 DHCP server serving the same subnet.

7. OK guys I have my system working perfectly now and my son's smartphone is no longer having problems connecting. Thank you very much for the help.

8. ask lng bout router modem na to prolink h5004n ng pldt my dsl wifi modem. gusto ko kasi gamitin to sa bayandsl nmin pra mgka wifi connection kami. kaso nun try ko wla internet. pano kaya setup gawin ko? may ngsabi skin disable ko daw dhcp. dko sure e kya dko pa try..patulong nman.thanks