PL-DSL1 Router Configuration Mode - NGN / IPDSLAM Only

Discussion in 'Modem Router Config Settings' started by dyoddyowel, Mar 27, 2007.

1. dyoddyowel

dyoddyowel Member

note: to avoid confusion...

this guide is for people who wants to enable the ROUTING capabilities of their modem and share the internet connection using a switch or hub, so there's no need for them to buy a router...

this guide is NOT intended for people who are using a separate router like linksys, dlink, edimax, tplink, etc...

this is not a guide on how to configure your modem so you can use it together with your newly bought router... (as i find most people are confused and thought they needed to do this before setting up their router)

if you are using a separate router, then there is no need to follow this guide and configure your modem to router mode... all configuration should be done on your router, leave your modem alone... default modem settings is bridge mode...

although you can follow this guide, set your modem to router mode and still use a separate router, but that would result in a double router connections... that also means double port forwarding rules...

##################################################################

You may need to set a static IP address on your computer first before you can access the web config... (you know how to do that right?)

[​IMG]

computer IP: 192.168.1.33
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    default gateway: 192.168.1.1

save settings and reboot...

after restarting, on your web browser type 192.168.1.1

Username: admin
    Password: 1234

then follow the screenshots to guide you...

[​IMG]

Click Wizard Setup

Mode: Routing
    Encapsulation: ENET ENCAP
    Multiplex: LLC

Metro-Manila area

VPI: 0
    VCI: 100

click NEXT

or...

Provincial area

VCI: 35

click NEXT

if unsure about your VPI/VCI settings in your area, call 172 and ask...

[​IMG]

On IP Address:
    Click Obtain an IP Address Automatically

On Network Address Translation
    Click SUA Only

Click Next

[​IMG]

You can either Save Settings now

or

Click Change LAN Configuration to make sure LAN, DHCP, and other settings are configured properly...

[​IMG]

Here are example LAN Configuration Settings...

then restart to make the new configuration take effect...

above values are just an example, you could set your own values like in IP starting address and pool size, etc...

after this, you can change your computer back to Dynamic IP Address if you like...

above screenshots were taken from a working connection... that means if it doesn't work for you, it's either you are doing something wrong or you didn't follow the guide completely... in that case, go back to step 1 and try again...

if it doesn't work out, try hard resetting your modem, hold the reset switch at the back of your modem for a few seconds then try following the guide again...

THIS IS FOR NGN SUBSCRIBERS ONLY!!!

or for those subscriber who connect automatically and doesn't need a username/password...

a separate guide is written for PPPOE subscriber at this link...
    http://www.pinoydsl.net/viewtopic.php?t=4368

2. How come you know this? do you work for pldt? in any case, i just had my pldt 888 disconnected! Thank god nagkaroon ng available port dito sa pasig ang globe!!! Ang bagal ng PLDT!!

3. dyoddyowel

dyoddyowel Member

ah eh... hehehe... mahilig lang pong magkalikot... hehe

4. How to setup PL-DSL1 modem/router that uses RFC 1483 encap?

Hi! Is it possible for my PL-DSL1 modem/router to be configured to share my PLDT DSL connection to 2 computers? I have searched through the forum using PL-DSL1 as my parameter but I think I'm not able to find an article that can assist me.

Here are my current settings on my PL-DSL1:
    Mode: Bridge
    Encapsulation: RFC 1483
    Multiplex: LLC

VCI: 100

ATM QoS Type: VBR

Cell Rate settings are at 0
    LAN Setup is not configured.

My computer and PL-DSL1 modem/router currently have IP addresses that starts with 124.xxx.xxx.xxx. If I use IPCONFIG on the command prompt, this appears:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::18ea:6701:e60a:2444%8
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 124.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 124.xxx.xxx.xxx

I'm going to use a Windows XP desktop and a Windows Vista laptop to connect to the internet.

I tried playing with the settings by setting it to ROUTE and putting in network IP addresses on the modem. Also tried hardcoding the IP addresses on both machines but still I am not able to connect both to the internet. I always end up with just one computer being able to connect to the internet.

Currently I have my computers set on auto-detection of IP addresses and DNS.

Here are screenshots of my PL-DSL1 current settings:

http://home.earthlink.net/~pnoystyle/Lan%2001.jpg
    http://home.earthlink.net/~pnoystyle/Sy ... s%2001.jpg
    http://home.earthlink.net/~pnoystyle/Wan%2001.jpg
    http://home.earthlink.net/~pnoystyle/Wa ... e%2001.jpg

* I also tested the other ethernet ports if they are working and as far as I can tell all of them are working. It's just that I can only use one port at a time.

** Please take note that I am using a diffent Encapsulation: RFC 1483. Most of the articles has PPPOE, ENET ENCAP or someother type.

Thank you!

5. nietzsche88

nietzsche88 Member

meron ka pang isang router? anong brand/model?

6. Wala akong isa pang router. Sorry, let me rephrase that.

My computer and PL-DSL1 modem/router currently have IP addresses that starts with 124.xxx.xxx.xxx. If I use IPCONFIG on the command prompt, this appears.

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 124.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 124.xxx.xxx.xxx

Sorry 'bout that. I just updated my post to reflect this. Thanks!

7. dyoddyowel

dyoddyowel Member

your PL-DSL1 is in bridge mode / rfc 1483 and you need to put it in router mode to share the connections which means you have to change the encapsulation type as well...

you don't need a username and password to connect to the internet right? if yes, follow this guide...
    http://www.pinoydsl.net/viewtopic.php?t=4367

if you need a username and password to connect, or use a dialer type to connect, follow this...
    http://www.pinoydsl.net/viewtopic.php?t=4368

you need to change the encapsulation type from rfc 1483 to either enet encap or pppoe depending on how you connect to the internet...

8. nietzsche88

nietzsche88 Member

yup just follow dyowell's advice.hehe write down first the original configuration of that modem just in case somethings dont quite work..hehe

yung PL-DSL1 has four LAN ports w/c youre trying to use?

9. dyoddyowel

dyoddyowel Member

after following the guide, your ipconfig should look more or less like this:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.xxx.xxx
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

or something similar to that...

10. dyoddyowel:

Yes, I don't need a username and password to connect to the Internet. Thanks for the advice, I'll be reading up on the articles you posted and work on them.

nietzsche88:

Yup, I will thanks for the advice! Yea, 4 ports ung PL-DSL1 ko. I got this around 2 years ago.

dyoddyowel:

I'll be posting results after following the guide you suggested. Later thanks!

11. Followed dyoddyowel's guide, I changed all the settings on the router and set my computer's to auto-detect IP's and DNS's and restarted. It worked perfectly!

Not only was I able to have internet on both computer's, I added my VOIP phone adapter/router to the 3rd ethernet port and it worked as well!

I'm definitely happy and impressed on how things worked out. Thanks dyoddyowel and nietzsche88 for your advices!

12. dyoddyowel

dyoddyowel Member

glad i could help... hehehe

13. talaga bang need ng switch for those who dont need username and password to connect?

14. dyoddyowel

dyoddyowel Member

need mo ng switch if your modem/router only has one port... kung kagaya ng PL-DSL1 na meron built-in 4port switch, hindi na kailangan ng separate switch unless more than 4 ang computer mo...

15. dati need pa namin ng username pass but nung sinabi na palitan dw yun landline nmen does it mean na ngn n kmi?? kasi ngyon wla na username pass,, pero tmwag ako sa 171 sbi hind dw kmi ngn,,

16. strangebrew

strangebrew Member

tol kung hindi k NGN, IPDSLAM k...

17. bro what does it mean?? kasi nagyon plan 999 gamit ko,,

18. dyoddyowel

dyoddyowel Member

i decided to merge the other thread to this thread since both thread discusses the same modem...

19. uhmm boss bkt ganun nag hard reset na apo ako eh ganun pa din ayaw mag acces yung username at password na admin , password
    admin