Boost up your GLOBE DSL speed by as much as 80kbps..

Discussion in 'Globe DSL' started by ojpd, Oct 13, 2005.

1. ojpd

ojpd Member

I am currently on a globelines dsl 384kbps plan and after this tweak and running online tests my bandwidth doesnt get lower than 450kbs. Works for me so yeah.. Share ko sa inyo! hehe

(Para lang sa mga walang kaba...)

So here it goes:

In the "My Network Places" properties (right-click on the desktop icon and choose properties), highlight the connection

then at the menu bar choose "Advanced" then "Advanced Settings". Uncheck the two boxes in the lower half for the

bindings for File and Printer sharing and Client for MS networks. Click OK.

From the Windows XP CD in the support directory from the support cab, extract the file netcap.exe and place it in a

directory on your hard drive or even in the root of your C:\ drive.

Next, open up a command prompt window and change directories to where you put netcap.exe. then type "netcap/?".

It will list some commands that are available for netcap and a netmon driver will be installed. At the bottom you will

see your adapters. You should see two of them if using a 3Com card. One will be for LAN and the other will be for

WAN something or other.

Next type "netcap/Remove". This will remove the netmon driver.

Open up Control Panel->System->Dev Man and look at your network adapters. You should now see two of them and one will have a yellow ! on it. Right-click on the one without the yellow ! and choose uninstall. YES! You are uninstalling your network adapter, continue with the uninstall. Do not restart yet.

Check your connection properties to make sure that no connection exists. If you get a wizard just cancel out of it.

Now re-start the machine.

After re-start go to your connection properties again and you should have a new connection called "Local area connection 2". Highlight the connection, then at the menu bar choose "Advanced" then "Advanced Settings". Uncheck the two boxes in the lower half for the bindings for File and Printer sharing and Client for MS networks. Click OK.

Choose connection properties and uncheck the "QOS" box.

Re-start the machine.

2. anyone tried dis already?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

actually im having up to 600kbps but most of the time 569kbs im using the same plan with him but take note d ko configure ha kasi nagtaas ng bandwith globe because of the new promo they have i dnt know what happened, plan 1995 should have a bandwith of 768

4. jantizon

jantizon Member

i tried this one but when it comes to the device manager.... i cant see the network adapter with a yellow question mark. the only one displayed is the installed NIC...

5. duhwho

duhwho staff Staff Member

QoS and Netmon really use some of the bandwidth hehehehe

:)

6. ojpd

ojpd Member

Yes it does! =p

7. there is no yellow marker as stated... what OS are u using? if XP, is it SP2? thanks....

8. ojpd

ojpd Member

I've been doing this on my beasts every 2 months just after I format them, Versions of Windows I use are Windows XP PRO SP2 OEM Version, The other is Windows XP PRO SP2 Retail Version and the last one Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005... Works all the time with the retail version of XP Pro, but sometimes the "yellow marker" doesnt appear on the 2 other versions. SOMETIMES.. But as long as you did the process correctly you would see an additional bandwidth boost of upto 80kbps and trust me this tweak/exploit works.

By the way, to check if you have a retail version or an OEM version..
    Go to --> C:\Program Files <-- Check to see if you have a folder named "xerox" in it. If you have it then you have an OEM version.

9. dyoddyowel

dyoddyowel Member

so basically, all you have to do is uninstall QoS and netmon right?

10. ojpd

ojpd Member

Disabling netmon and QoS is the basic idea. I didnt state anything about uninstalling QoS. And somehow since the longer process was formulated and being practiced by tweakers, overclockers, gamers and even warez boys I guess that's the reason why I follow it..

11. Note: you can't do this on windows Home Edition..no QOS control on Home..huhu

12. primus

primus Member

as far as i know and based on m$ white paper about the QoS, it only works if the other peer is also a m$ OS with QoS enabled, in other words, this has no effect at all unless the peer connection is a ms with QoS.

excerpt from m$

Clarification about the use of QoS in end computers that are running Windows XP
    As in Windows 2000, programs can take advantage of QoS through the QoS APIs in Windows XP. One hundred percent of the network bandwidth is available to be shared by all programs unless a program specifically requests priority bandwidth. This "reserved" bandwidth is still available to other programs unless the requesting program is sending data. By default, programs can reserve up to an aggregate bandwidth of 20 percent of the underlying link speed on each interface on an end computer. If the program that reserved the bandwidth is not sending sufficient data to use it, the unused part of the reserved bandwidth is available for other data flows on the same host.

For more information about the QoS Packet Scheduler, see Windows XP Help. Additional information about Windows 2000 QoS is available in the Windows 2000 technical library.

There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect. The information in the "Clarification about QoS in end computers that are Running Windows XP" section correctly describes the behavior of Windows XP systems.

13. bro ur the man... thanks a lot.... my dsl now boost... form previous test its only 200+kbp now it will reach up to 414kbps... thanks for your knowedge...

14. ojpd

ojpd Member

I'm glad it worked for you.

15. Bro.. ask ko lang ko if its applicable in computer that runs in network?

16. ojpd

ojpd Member

dude Im terrible when it comes to stuff about networking bro.. sorry.. But try to seek advice from dyowel, raldz, duhwho, genexide or symantec before using the guide... coz they know a lot about networking.

17. arjaysoo

arjaysoo Member

godd job ojpd.. wala ba taung pang smartbro dyan heheh

18. ojpd

ojpd Member

Not sure bro but this might be applicable to smart bro.. Pero Im not sure. How about we make your pc a lab rat?

19. same question as silverdjin :)

20. same question above