Bayantel begins selling VoIP to residential customers

Discussion in 'DSL & Info Tech News' started by XMA388, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Bayantel begins selling VoIP to residential customers

With indications that government is set to release regulatory guidelines on voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) next week, the Lopez-owned Bayan Telecommunications (Bayantel) has begun its push for its own VoIP service to residential users.

Expecting to boost its broadband Internet subscribers to about 25,000 next year, Bayantel has also timed its push for residential VoIP service this year as consumer take up increases.

VoIP is expected to grow at the pace of broadband Internet using the digital subscriber line (DSL), according to Rodrigo Montinola, Bayantel’s vice president of the Metro Manila retail market, in a recent briefing.

"[VoIP] is going to stabilize our long distance business which has long been threatened by the mobile phone business," added Montinola.

Bayantel has about 8,000 DSL subscribers nationwide this year from 3,000 in 2004, and expects to grow this to 25,000 by 2006, said Joevel Rivera, BayanTel vice president for product development.

Take-up for broadband Internet access service is currently in "triple digit figures" expected to double by next year, the Bayantel executive said.

The biggest slice of the Philippine DSL market will be gobbled up by residential users who thirst for speedy Internet services, Rivera said.

Its rivals Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co. and Globe have also experienced strong take up for DSL services.

Rivera however stressed that Bayantel is using VoIP to also sell its broadband Internet offerings.

The timing of its push for consumer VoIP services is strategic, as Philippine telephone companies engage in price wars for their respective voice services.

"When you talk about voice, pricing is really driving business. But for VoIP, the biggest challenge right now is DSL coverage. Despite a rosy picture, the extent of our DSL coverage will determine our VoIP business," Montinola said.

With cheaper long distance calls as its selling point, Bayantel's residential VoIP service is expected to attract its current base of consumers.

"Of the 10 people we call, two eventually ask for a demo," said Rivera. "The key here is to attract the heavy users of IDD(international direct dialing)."

Bayantel has been offering "voice over broadband" to corporate users for several years, but the company decided to push the service to consumers only this year.

VoIP is a communications innovation that allows voice calls to be routed through the Internet using digital packets of information. It is now becoming an attractive alternative to traditional telephone service since it costs less to make long distance calls while enjoying the same benefits derived from typical telephone services.

VoIP services like the famous Skype now allows people to make calls anywhere in the world as long as they can connect to a broadband Internet service.

Reports indicate that Skype attracts about 150,000 users a day with its free VoIP service, but has about 1.2 million paying subscribers to SkypeOut service. The European firm now has a total of 40 million users worldwide.

The National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) has recently issued draft guidelines on the deregulation of VoIP in the Philippines. But telephone companies like Bayantel have vehemently opposed the rules, stressing that VoIP providers should also be required to acquire a franchise from Congress.

The NTC has already classified VoIP as a value-added service in an earlier memorandum, which means it will be deregulated. In the United States, the Federal Communications Commission has classified VoIP as an information service, also deregulated.

Bayantel is offering VoIP services for as low as 499 pesos a month, plus a one-time installation fee. The service also comes with a "free" router that connects a regular phone to the Internet.

Calls to the US, Canada, and other Southeast Asian countries would cost as low as .06 cents a minute, or about 85 percent cheaper than regular IDD rates, according to Bayantel executives.

Bayantel has also hinted that the VoIP service offering for consumers is aimed to go head to head with rival Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co.'s flat-rate services.

Bayantel’s VoIP service will be available nationwide, the company said.

First posted 07:35am (Mla time) Aug 18, 2005
    By Erwin Lemuel Oliva
    INQ7.net
    http://news.inq7.net/infotech/index.php ... y_id=47250

-----------------------------------------------

Is this good news or not?

2. bridge

bridge Member

this is good move from the telco side, this only means long distance will now be more cheaper :)

3. Neo

Neo Member

any idea what kind of VOIP adapter are they giving?

its me,

Neo

4. no idea 'bro. mahal kung branded ang ibibigay nila. maraming made in Taiwan na OK ang performance, mura pa. let's wait and see. meron cgurong magpo-post ng manufacturer niyan.

5. Neo

Neo Member

Does Bayantel VOIP is on the run now? anyone who has an idea what SIP URI are they using?

thanks,

its me,

Neo

6. just got my voip router from SkyInternet. It is a Linksys RT31P2. I hope they will activate it the soonest. for the meantime I have to tinker first inside it to find saome settings. Does anybody here have an experience on where to find telco setting in this type of voip router?

7. What is the meaning of SIP URI? Is this a handshaking protocol? Do you need to ask this if your a getting a VOIP phone subscription like the one from Bayantel?

8. Neo

Neo Member

SIP URI is the address of the VOIP provider to contact its member outside its network.. its same like an email address.. or like a URL

for example is xxxxx@voip_provider.com

where x is the user voip number ...

i am using freeworld dialup as my free voip provider..and its domain/realm or proxy server is fwd.pulver.com and my voip number is 96029.. since i am outside your network you cant call me just dialling my number 96029.. but you will need to dial on your voip adapter on this pattern 96029@fwd.pulver.com to reach me inside your network..

if your network has a features to call other network other than your voip provider then you can able to call even the Vonage, Broadvoice or any voip provider members for free using this features.. in a way this is the reason why im asking what is there domain/realm or SIP URI or proxy server they are using.. if i have that there is possibility that i can ring and talk to you for free....

but in a way your RT31P2 is locked there is no way you can findout what domain/realm or proxy server SKY is using because it will be hidden on voicepage of RT31P2.. and thats sucks... :cry:

its me,

Neo

9. Neo

Neo Member

open internet explorer and type on the address bar 192.168.15.1 you will be prompt for username and password.. for default its

username: admin

password: admin

when you are inside.. click voice and you will have this page...

[​IMG]

The Display Name is your caller ID

The user ID and the authorization user Name is your voip phone number

The Registration/Proxy Server is your SIP VOIP provider address

example taken from this link

[glow=red]NOTE:[/glow] if your RT31P2 is locked this option is hide in a way you cant have an access on it...

its me,

Neo

10. it is locked. anyway i have xlite softphone, can I use this as my phone for Sky VOIP if i get a chance to know my SIP URI? another thing is there anyway to get my SIP URI settings inside the Linksys router, like telnet or maybe through CLI command. How did the telco manage to put the settings inside the firmware?. I know some people have been able to unlock this router, but I am afraid I might be able to wipe the settings embedded in the firmware.

11. Neo

Neo Member

if you will know the domain/realm that sky is using of course you can configure it to x-lite.. or maybe to eyebeam so you can have video as well.. no idea if there is another way you can do to know there domain/realm that they using.. using telnet or CLI command will give you the IP address that it used.. but there were times that ip address change frequently.. but who knows its worth a try???

if you know someone who manage to unlock this piece of Garbage (RT31P2) please let me know so i can unlocked mine too. many VOIP affecionados tried to unlock it but till now no success.. mine is locked to Vonage.. :cry:

now, im just using Pulver Communicator, firefly, X-Pro, Eyebeam, SJphone and the one we called callme from freeworld dialup which you can find on my signature... sorry it works only in Internet Explorer using Windows XP and ME...

its me,

Neo

12. alray10

alray10 Member

For VOIP to work well you need a band width of at least 1Mbs but for it to work like a normal local call you need 2 Mbs if you have not got this bandwidth don't waist your money.
    They should not be selling it to people on lower bandwidths

13. Neo

Neo Member

it depends on the audio codec of your voip software/hardware used. If you are using only the GSM audio codec high bandwidth is not neccessary. A 13 kbps (full rate) is enough to transmit and recieve clear.. (sounds is like you are talking someone in a cellphone). Of course the more bandwith you have the better.. HERE you can find some info how much bandwith you need for some audio codecs used in Voip.

its me,

Neo

14. alray10

alray10 Member

That was writen by someone that sells VOIP the truth is for it to work well and get the quality of a normal phone call anywhere in the world you need at least 1 Mbs.
    Anyone that tells you different is probably a sales man that sells to people who don't have that band width.

15. hotbreed

hotbreed Member

@alray10
    i shall appreciate it if you give us a link to the article that says 1Mbps is required for VOIP to work well. the page i visited says 16 - 88 kbps is enough but it has not been updated for quite a while and maybe inaccurate.

16. duhwho

duhwho staff Staff Member

Well, I beg to disagree, when I was with Linksys-CISCO we test SIPURA and Vonage, PAP2 and RT31P2, it works well, and considering we are using a corporate bandwidth that is shared among different departments simultaneously. Like everyone is telling it depends on your setup and not on a bandwidth. The only reason I think you need 1mb maybe because you have to many calls. But for a residential who is using only a single voip call per connection, I doubt they need 1mbps.

And we successuly use Skype to conduct Call Simulation to our branch in Mindanao. Considering we are conducting 5 call simulation for our trainnee per session. And its crystel clear, and they successfully able to grade the trainee performance in the call simulation because its clear and no lag. Again we are using a bandwidth that is shared, while some PC and continusly using Limewire and Torrent (illegal use of resources hehehehe).

:)

17. duhwho

duhwho staff Staff Member

just add to some news... GLobe just recently upgrade its network using MPLS Network this way packet sensitive application like VoiP and TV over IP can have smooth flaws.

:)

18. @alray10

we have sipura 3000 in batangas and we have only 512 kbps and it works like a charm, you only need at least 128 kbps of bandwith to use sipura 3000 as your voip adaptor.

19. alray10

alray10 Member

Look on most VOIP sites and they will tell you it really need broadband to work true Broadband starts at 1.5Mbs.
    It may well work on calls with in your country OK as it only travels a shortway before it then uses normal land lines but if you calling around the world it will need more bandwidth to work well.

20. hotbreed

hotbreed Member

OmyGosh!!! you're the most misinformed person i have ever seen :shock: